Macaroons Ladurée, Paris
"Macaroons are the new cup cakes" say Delicious magazine and with all this talk of Mad Hatter’s tea parties and my weekend at Paris Fashion Week, I had to show you the sumptuous gem-like macaroons by Ladurée. Ladurée’s window on Boulevard Saint Honoré was a wonderland delight, special green boxes with Alice in Wonderland illustrations were piled high alongside towering pinnacles of macaroons in jewelled colours. For those who plan far ahead, a visit to the Mad Hatter’s tea room in Printemps is an absolute ‘must’. Chequer board floors, a long white table with high back chairs, silver crockery and pastel-coloured china add to the fairytale of a tea party that dreams are made of…
1. 50g ground almonds
2. 140g icing sugar
3. 2 large egg whites
4. 1 tbsp caster sugar
5. Pink food colouring paste
6. 3 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
1. 1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. 2. Sieve the ground almonds and icing sugar together into a large bowl. Put the egg whites into a separate bowl, and using an electric hand whisk, beat to soft peaks. Add the caster sugar, and whisk until glossy. Fold into the almond and icing sugar mixture, along with a very small amount of the pink food colouring. Mix until just combined and evenly pink – the mixture will reduce as the air bubbles in the meringue burst.
3. 3. Put the mixture into a disposable piping bag, snip off 1cm from the end. Pipe small blobs (about 1 heaped teaspoon each) onto the baking paper, spaced apart, so you have about 50 in total. Set aside for 10 minutes to dry – this is important as it gives the macaroons the correct texture. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn the whole sheet of paper over – the macaroons will be stuck so won’t fall off. Bake for another 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
4. 4. Peel off the baking paper from the macaroons, then sandwich 2 together with a tiny blob of strawberry jam in the centre. Repeat to give you 25 in total.
Recipe courtesy of Delicious
Ladurée, Printemps Paris