We are delighted to welcome on board Elisa Settimi from across the pond… you guessed it, New York! Elisa is the latest contributor to join the Adorn London team and we look forward to her street style pics and written contributions on all that glitters.
As a self-confessed vintage jewellery addict, Elisa shares her top buying tips:
1. If you find a piece you love and are hesitating to buy it, just go for it! Buying vintage means you might not have a second chance.
2. Sometimes the best finds are at the bottom of a box, hidden under pounds of tangled jewels. Don’t be afraid to start digging.
3. Chances are, if it’s signed, it’s worth a lot more. Knowing the names of top notch vintage jewelry designers such as Haskell will help you to spot the lust worthy pieces.
4. If you live close to a wealthy area, I suggest checking out any estate or garage sales for discarded treasures.
5. Make sure all stones are clear instead of cloudy and secure in their settings. Taking the extra time to examine the pieces closely will save you from spending more money on repairs later.
6. The more you educate yourself on jewelry history, the easier it will be for you to spot the quality pieces.
7. Websites like ebay and etsy are great tools for finding those harder to come by pieces that you have been searching for.
8. Allow yourself to take chances. Costume jewelry is usually over the top so have a little fun with it!